Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Living Beneath My Privileges


"You are growing up with one of the greatest tools for good in the history of man: the Internet. With it comes an elaborate buffet of choices. The abundance of choice, however, carries with it an equal portion of accountability. It facilitates your access to both the very best and the very worst the world has to offer. With it you can accomplish great things in a short period of time, or you can get caught up in endless loops of triviality that waste your time and degrade your potential. "
--Randall L Ridd, April 2014

Isn't it cool how I have access to nearly every form of media on my Iphone? In class we've discussed ads, music, books, TV, and video games. Check, check, check,check, and check. We haven't yet talked about social networking sites, but BOOM those are accessible through my Iphone too. Surfing the internet is also a possibility through my phone, and of course there's the means of using my phone to communicate through text messages, phone calls, skype, and snapchats.

What I'm trying to get at is that I have unlimited potential through my phone. Unfortunately, I consistently live beneath my privileges.

I have access to all forms of information--but I usually only access IMDB.
I have a variety of apps that educate me about the gospel--but I only use them on Sundays because I don't want to carry my heavy scriptures.
I have databases full of educational and riveting videos--but I only use Youtube as a means of looking up funny cat videos.

I hope that we can remember the privilege we are entrusted with when we can use such powerful, enabling technology! If we are wise, we literally can use these devices to transform ourselves. We can become like God with these things. It's just a little concerning to me that these devices are often drawing me further, rather than nearer to my Heavenly Father.

Here's one last great quote from our church leadership:

There is much that is good with our easy access to communication and information. I have found it helpful to access research articles, conference talks, and ancestral records, and to receive e-mails, Facebook reminders, tweets, and texts. As good as these things are, we cannot allow them to push to one side those things of greatest importance. How sad it would be if the phone and computer, with all their sophistication, drowned out the simplicity of sincere prayer to a loving Father in Heaven. Let us be as quick to kneel as we are to text.
--Ian S. Ardern, "A Time To Prepare", October 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment