Monday, October 20, 2014

Email=Efficiency?

Many of my friends rave about the supposed efficiency of email. 

"You can avoid awkward conversations with email."
"You can reply at any time. There's no pressure."
"It's SO MUCH FASTER."

Well, I think they're all full of it. Emails are less than efficient. It would be faster for me to simply walk the twenty minutes across campus than to write a simple email.

Why? Oh, you know, just because I'm the type of person that over-analyzes. Every. Stinking. Thing. 

Honestly truly, it takes me twenty-five minutes to write a one paragraph email. I'm never certain whether my joke is going to come off as sarcasm or if it's not obvious enough to be a joke so that it's instead perceived as a really really dumb comment. But if  I leave it out, I might be considered far too serious and boring. So then I overcompensate, by including smiley faces and exclamation points after every comment. This results in my email appearing to be written by a giggly 12 year old girl...which is just marvelous.

By the time I finally compose the letter, and I'm about to press the send button, I begin to wonder: did it take me too long to respond? Oh my goodness. Are they going to assume that I'm not committed enough to them to email quickly? Do they assume that I'm incompetent because it took me so long to email back? Or worse, do I seem overeager by emailing them so quickly?

Oh heavens. It's just the worst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment