Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Allies in Christ

As we navigate social media, it's easy to stumble upon a surprisingly negative and competitive tone when it comes to religion. So often we see many in our faith flaunting that we are the only true church. I don't blame them for their religious pride. I, too, sometimes adopt a smug air when it comes to religion. I love my church! I praise it for the joy it brings, the comfort it offers, and the knowledge it shares. I believe that I belong to the Church Christ established here on Earth--that's why I proclaim that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Yet this zealous devotion sometimes can appear down-right condescending--especially throughout media platforms. We shouldn't discriminate against other religions because we believe that ours is "true-er" than theirs.  Such behavior and beliefs are self-defeating. We should be combining our efforts in bringing about goodness and virtue. When unwholesome media seems to permeate our TVs, Facebook feeds, blogs, and Youtube ads, the only way we can really combat it is by spreading our message. As we align ourselves with all decent media efforts in a kind and respectful manner, we bring others to Christ--because of the message we share as well as the way we choose to share it. Now is not the time to be prideful; all who represent Christ deserve our support.

2 comments:

  1. Mandy, I agree with you 100%! We should not be smug, but loving. We should not be prideful, but humble. Sometimes members do go to far with claiming that our church is the only true church. That is not the way to help someone see the truth. But if we use love, charity, hope, and humility, that can make all the difference in another person's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Something that I love about Christ and His followers is that there are so many people and religions who know of Him and love to follow Him. Even if other churches might not have everything we have, many have bits of truth that also bring people to Christ and bring them great joy in their lives. :) We are all God's children! And many people know that and I love it.

    ReplyDelete